Tuesday, October 14, 2008

6n - 4 = 12n + 26

A math lesson. So here we are on October 14, my (very tired) 8th grader brings this to me in tears. "The teacher made us take notes in class and I can't concentrate when I have to write what she is saying." Makes perfect sense to me. If you are one of my fellow Hornets and sat near me in Algebra--whether it was the 1st time I took it, or the 5th or 6th? by then in college. (seriously-I tend to exaggerate however this is not one of those times) You know what an achievement it was for me to finally get through college Algebra just a few years ago with an A-yes I said A.

You would think I could help this 8th grader with her pre-Algebra. My perfectionist OCD 1st born is nothing like me. She craves the proper orderly, scheduled, and neat. I am so much more laid back it is not even funny. I do wish I could be more like her, and could not be more proud. I digress from the 'math' lesson.

Shane has been the math homework parent. I do all other subjects. Not b/c I don't want to help, but b/c of conversations like this...little girl to mom "I'll just wait for Daddy to get here" or "Is Daddy coming home tonight?" mom--"Probably not until after your in bed." or "No, remember he told you this morning he would be gone" little girl responds with a sad dejected face " Oh, OK." mom says why honey? little girl (with a guilty expression) "I do not understand my math homework" or "I have a math test tomorrow". My offers of help are usually only accepted by them b/c they don't want me to feel bad. (yes, they are that thoughtful).

My reason for sharing this humiliating piece of my story is, don't let the schoolwork get away from you. If I had been following along and paying more attention in recent years it wouldn't have taken us 2 hours to do 11 pre-Algebra problems. And once I had the hang of it she (so unlike me, at her age-who am I kidding? even now) wouldn't just nod her head and act like she understood the problem that I had totally worked and had the answer to right there. She had to have it explained to her, in great detail the whys and why nots of the problem. And then work it on her own until she came up with the correct answer.

Throw in the fact that she had cheer practice until 5:00, it is 6:30 when we start. We haven't had dinner, I am also trying to help Sarah study 50 (again-totally not exaggerating) spelling words, and help her make her crazy hat for spirit day the next day.

Does it sound like I am complaining? I know I am very blessed to have a teenager!?!??!! (that's a whole other post) that is that conscientious of her studies.


For anyone who is scratching their head about the answer to the equation it is -5. (to the best of my knowledge)

No comments: